The best ladder tree stand in 2023 is the Primal Treestands 22′ Mac Daddy Xtra Wide Deluxe Ladderstand.
A ladder tree stand is a big purchase. You buy one in the expectation that you’re going to be able to use it for years. That’s why it’s important you make the right decision. We reviewed a selection of the most popular ladder tree stands on the market to help you make the right decision.
Our winners were:
- Best ladder tree stand for bow hunting: Primal Treestands 22′ Mac Daddy Xtra Wide Deluxe Ladderstand
- Best ladder stand for the money: Guide Gear 16′ Ladder Tree Stand for Hunting
- Most durable ladder tree stand for big guys: Primal Treestand Double Vantage Deluxe 18′ Two-Man Ladder Tree Stand
- Best 1-man ladder tree stand: Rhino Treestands RTL-200 Deluxe Single Person 16ft Ladder Stand Review
- Best 2-man ladder stand/Best double ladder tree stand: Guide Gear 16.5′ 2-Man Ladder Tree Stand for Hunting Elevated Climbing Seat
- Best lightweight ladder tree stand: Rivers Edge RE647 Deluxe 1-Man Ladder Stand
- Most comfortable: Guide Gear Big Boy XL 18′ Ladder Tree Stand
Other notable mentions were the:
- Primal Treestands 17′ Single Vantage Xtra Wide Deluxe Ladderstand
- Guide Gear Ultra Comfort 18′ Ladder Tree Stand
- Guide Gear 16′-Swivel Stand
- Ol’Man Treestands Assassin 18′ Dual Ladder Tree Stand
- Big Game Hunter HD 1.5 Treestand
- River Edge TwoPlex™ 2-Man Ladder Stand
- Muddy MLS1550 Skybox Deluxe 20′ Tall Single Steel Ladder Tree Stand
Who This Guide Is For
This guide is for anyone who enjoys hunting and wants to enhance that experience by hunting from a stand.
It’s designed to help you choose the best ladder tree stand out there for you. Our best might not be your best. That’s why we’ve highlighted winners in multiple categories.
Hunting from a stand is different from hunting on the ground. You can see a whole lot more from six yards up. If you’ve got the right stand, then it’s also a lot harder for the animals to see you.
A ladder tree stand is a big buy. You’re not going to buy a new one each season. You want one that will last and one that makes for happier hunting.
There’s no point setting up your stand only to find out that it’s impossible to sit in for longer than half an hour. Or that, at that vital moment as you shift your weight to get your shot off, it lets out a metallic squeal that scares off every living being within a square mile!
There are many factors to consider here. We list them below and we took them into account when reviewing this selection of the very best ladder tree stands.
It doesn’t matter if you’re an experienced hunter or a beginner – if you’re looking to buy a ladder tree stand then this guide is here to help you.
If you’d like to compare with other types of tree stands, then have a look at these articles:
- Sharpshaft Content: best hang-on/lock-on tree stand on the market
- Sharpshaft Content: best climbing tree stand on the market
- Sharpshaft Content: lightest hang-on tree stand on the market (8.5 lbs)
- Sharpshaft Content: lightest climbing tree stands on the market (11 lbs)
Why Trust Us?
You can trust us because we’re looking for the same things as you when we’re buying hunting equipment.
We review as many products as we can to make sure that we select the best of the best. It’s important to us that you have a great hunting experience too.
We take into account various factors such as comfort, durability, and ease of use to provide you with a comprehensive guide to the best tree stands for various use cases.
If you’re a big guy, you don’t want a stand with a narrow seat. If your budget is tight, you need to be thinking about value for money. We’re all different and we all want different things.
We’re sure that one of them will be just what you need to complete your hunting experience. Helping our readers make the right decision when buying hunting equipment is our reason for being here.
When you’re purchasing a ladder tree stand, we think there are several factors that you need to bear in mind.
- We all know that hunting is a waiting game. The woods aren’t full of deer. You have to wait patiently for one to come along. Maybe, that’s 20 minutes. Maybe, it’s two hours. Comfort is so important.
- A ladder tree stand is more than just a chair. If you want (or need) to stretch your legs after a stretch in the chair, then you’ve got to get down that ladder. The longer you can sit comfortably in that chair, the better.
- A ladder tree stand is for life and not just for Christmas! You want a stand that’s going to last for years.
- Remember stands are generally left up in one place for a long time. You need to know that time and the elements are not going to affect your stand.
- Stability and sturdiness are vital qualities in any stand. If you’re climbing six yards in the air, you need to be absolutely sure that your ladder is going to stay in place.
- Stability really affects enjoyment. If you’re up there and worried by little creaks, you’re not going to have as good a time hunting. You want to worry about what you’re there to do. Not whether the stand is going to fall apart!
Maximum supported weight
- This one is related to stability and durability. Is the stand going to be able to support your weight? Or if it’s a two-man stand, your weight, and your hunting partner’s.
- Generally, one-man stands support a weight of 300 lbs and two-man stands support 500. Remember that weight isn’t just you, it includes all your equipment and supplies.
- We’ve got friends on the bigger side who use a two-man stand for solo hunting. You’ve got to do what you’ve got to do!
- When we say noise, we mean silence. You don’t want a noisy stand. A stand that squeaks every time you breathe is the last thing you want.
- Part of the idea of a tree stand is that you’re harder for your prey to see. You don’t want them to be able to hear you either!
- Over the years, we’ve come to believe that a stand that makes too much noise is also likely to fail when it comes to durability and sturdiness. Often those noises are down to stands that aren’t well designed and a poorly designed stand is less likely to last a long time or support you as safely.
What’s the difference between ladder tree stands, hang-on tree stands and climbing tree stands?
- Ladder tree stands have a seat and a platform at the top of a ladder. They’re secured to a tree with straps. They’re best for situations where you can leave the stand in one location for an extended period of time.
- Hang-on tree stands are more portable. They can be moved from tree to tree much more easily, but you will need a way to get the stand up the tree in the first place. Generally, this would mean a step ladder or similar. Hang-on tree stands don’t normally have as much space as a ladder tree stand, but they are less easy to spot.
- Climbing tree stands are designed to help you climb the tree yourself so no extra ladder is needed. They’re generally smaller in terms of actual seating area than ladder tree stands but they’re generally the most portable option.
How we reviewed the best ladder tree stands
We used the attributes in our own purchasing advice to assess each tree stand. We also then selected treestands that stood out in a selection of categories. We did this because we know each use case is different. The best ladder tree stand for you might not be the best ladder tree stand for your neighbor.
We’re confident that the ladder tree stand that best suits your needs will be in the list below. We’ll start with our best overall as that’s the one that we believe will do the job in the widest range of use cases.
No Spam! Just Pure Hunting, Survival & Outdoors Goodness in your Inbox 🏹
Best Ladder Treestands in 2023
Best ladder tree stand for bow hunting: Primal Treestands 22′ Mac Daddy Xtra Wide Deluxe Ladderstand
The Primal Treestands 22 Foot Mac Daddy Xtra Wide Deluxe Ladderstand is our pick for the best ladder tree stand for hunting. It is 22 feet tall and has a special Jaw and Truss System to make sure it is stable and easy to put up.
We found it to be both stable and comfortable. It’s the highest stand here and yet still feels extremely stable. it stays quiet and steady even when they jump and shake it.
The Jaw and Truss System makes sure the tree stand is set up safely, and the light design makes it easy to move to different hunting spots. The metal frame is strong, but if we had to find fault we might be a little worried that the plastic parts might wear out over time. Assembly wasn’t easy but that’s true of pretty much every ladder tree stand we’ve ever come across. Having said that, if you’ve ever made any flat-pack furniture, you shouldn’t have too much trouble getting one of these babies up!
The flip-up rail and seat make this stand especially good for crossbow hunting. A bow is bulkier than a rifle so it’s good to have as much room as possible.
All the stands here will work great for deer hunting, but this one was our favorite. Why? Because it’s such a pleasure to use and its height means you really get a fantastic vantage point and you’re out of the eye line of the deer.
In summary, the Primal Treestands 22-Foot Mac Daddy Xtra Wide Deluxe Ladderstand is a great choice for hunters who want a comfortable and stable tree stand. The special features, like the Jaw and Truss System, make it safe and reliable for hunting. But, remember that the plastic parts might wear out and you might need help to set it up.
- 22-foot height for a great view
- Extra-wide design for more comfort and space
- Jaw and Truss System for a safe and stable setup
- Lightweight and easy to move
- Strong metal frame
- Molded foam seat
- Flip-up rail and seat
- 500-lb weight limit
- Concern over durability of plastic parts
- Not the easiest to assemble
Best ladder stand for the money: Guide Gear 16′ Ladder Tree Stand for Hunting
The Guide Gear 16′ Ladder Tree Stand is a useful and low-cost tree stand made for hunters who want to see their quarry from high up. Its 16-foot height means hunters have a good view. able. It works well for many hunting situations and is a low-cost choice for hunters who need to save money. The price is fantastic.
Obviously, a cheaper price sometimes means less attention to quality. Some reviewers found this Guide Gear tree stand difficult to assemble. They believed this was down to manufacturing problems. We didn’t have these problems ourselves, but it’s worth bearing in mind.
A lower price can also mean less of these little extras that make a great tree stand. This stand doesn’t have a flip-up shooting rail or seat. It does, however, have a flip-up footrest, which is something that we liked. It’s especially useful for those of you with long legs.
Overall though, the Guide Gear 16′ Ladder Tree Stand for Hunting is a good choice for hunters who want an affordable and useful tree stand. For its price, it offers excellent comfort and all the essentials you need.
- 16-foot height for a good view
- Comfortable climbing seat for a fun hunting time
- Works well for different hunting situations
- Low-cost choice for hunters on a budget
- Easy to put up and carry
- 300-lb weight limit
- Durability could be an issue
- Some reviewers had problems with assembly
Most durable ladder tree stand for big guys: Primal Treestand Double Vantage Deluxe 18′ Two-Man Ladder Tree Stand with Jaw and Truss System
The Primal Tree Stand Double Vantage Deluxe is a cool and strong tree stand made for hunters who want to be high up and comfortable while hunting with a friend.
We found it really easy to put together and the reviews we’ve read say the same. This is the heaviest tree stand here but it still comes in at less than a hundred pounds.
That weight means that it’s solid and built to last. We think that it looks great too. That might not be the most important thing. But it definitely doesn’t hurt.
Comfort is great. Two of you can sit up there for hours perfectly happily waiting for your quarry. One of the things we love most about hunting is the wait. This stand makes that wait a pleasure.
People who used the Primal Treestand Double Vantage Deluxe said it’s easy to put together. One person said it took them and their 11-year-old grandkid only 2 hours to set it up. Another person said the stand is really strong on the tree and has a very wide ladder, making it safe and steady for hunting.
The adjustable shooting rail is also helpful because it lets you use different hunting tools, like compound bows, crossbows, and guns, in a comfy way.
One reviewer said the platform below the seat is a bit too small. This made their boot toes hang off the front when sitting. It’s not a problem we found. On the positive side, the same reviewer also said that the stand has enough room to move around easily with hunting stuff.
To sum up, the Primal Treestand Double Vantage Deluxe 18′ Two-Person Ladder Tree Stand with Jaw and Truss System is a great tree stand for hunters who want a safe, comfortable and high-up place to hunt. With its cool jaw and truss system, big design, and happy users, this tree stand is a smart choice for any serious hunter. One drawback is that it also comes at a serious price.
If you can leave it in one place for the whole season location permanently, then we think it’s worth the money. It really is an outstanding tree stand if you can afford it.
- 18′ height helps you see animals better
- Holds two people so you can hunt with a friend
- Jaw and truss system makes it safe and steady
- Cozy flip-up mesh seat makes long waits comfortable
- Soft, adjustable shooting rail helps for steady shooting
- 500-lb weight limit
- Heavier than the other ladder stands here
- Very expensive
Best 1-man ladder tree stand: Rhino Treestands RTL-200 Deluxe Single Person 16ft Ladder Stand Review
The Rhino Treestands RTL-200 Deluxe Single Person 16ft Ladder Stand stood out for a number of reasons. Like all but one of the stands here, it’s a single-seat tree stand made for hunters who like to hunt alone.
Comfort was definitely important when this stand was being designed. The padded armrests and shooting rail are a real treat. The comfortable mesh seat means you’ll be able to happily spend hours sitting in this ladder stand. The “Deluxe” in the name certainly doesn’t disappoint. We certainly enjoyed every moment of our time testing this beauty.
Though not the absolute lightest stand here, it still only weighs 55 lbs, which is much less than other stands out there that have a similar feature set.
Durability shouldn’t be a problem as the stand is made from reassuringly solid-feeling coated steel. The Rhino’s 300-lb capacity means that most hunters should have no problem using it.
In the end, the Rhino Treestands RTL-200 Deluxe Single Person 16ft Ladder Stand is an excellent choice for solo hunters, giving them comfort and usefulness in a strong and durable design.
- 16-foot height helps you see better
- Made for one person for a focused hunting time
- Comfy mesh seat for waiting a long time
- Soft armrests for extra comfort
- Shooting rail for extra help and steadiness
- 300-lb weight limit
- Can only be used for solo hunting
Best 2-man ladder stand/Best double ladder tree stand: Guide Gear 16.5′ 2-Man Ladder Tree Stand for Hunting Elevated Climbing Seat
The Guide Gear 16.5′ 2-Person Ladder Tree Stand is a strong and useful tree stand made for hunters who want a high vantage point. It is also great if you want to hunt with a friend or just need more room for your equipment.
Coming in at 80 lbs, this isn’t the lightest ladder tree stand here but if there are two of you, it’s definitely manageable.
Some reviewers said it could perhaps be more comfortable. Other reviewers, on the other hand, praised its comfort and overall quality. Overall, reviewers found it to be strong in most categories, praising how easy it is to assemble and how spacious it is. One reviewer even said that if you’re looking for a tree stand then this is the one to get. Another said they were so happy that they’d buy another.
So, the Guide Gear 16.5′ 2-Person Ladder Tree Stand is a smart choice for hunters who want a dependable tree stand that can hold two people or give more room for their hunting stuff and extras. With its strong build and high-up climbing seat, this tree stand makes hunting safe and fun.
- The 16.5-foot height gives a great view for seeing animals
- It can hold 2 people
- The strong build makes sure it’s safe and lasts a long time
- 500-lb weight limit
- The high-up climbing seat is reasonably comfortable while you’re waiting to get that perfect shot
- Could be more comfortable, especially when two of you are sharing
Best Lightweight ladder tree stand: Big Game Warrior DXT Ladder Tree Stand Review
Tipping the scales at a mere 44 lbs, the Rivers Edge RE647 Deluxe 1-Man Ladder Stand couldn’t be more lightweight if it tried. It was the clear winner of our best lightweight ladder stand review round-up post.
The Rivers Edge RE647 Deluxe 1-Man Ladder Stand is an affordable, versatile solution that seamlessly marries impeccable functionality with unmatched quality. Solo hunters will undoubtedly really enjoy its performance. We had nothing but a good time reviewing this stand, which makes it very easy to recommend.
At a height of 16’5″, the RE647 is plenty high enough, allowing for a comprehensive view of your surroundings. It also hits the mark when it comes to comfort. The plush, well-padded seat guarantees you’ll be able to sit easy during extended waits. The flip-out footrest is a great addition. It lets you choose whether to let your feet hang free or have some support. Sometimes, it’s good to be able to vary things up.
In summary, the Rivers Edge RE647 Deluxe 1-Man Ladder Stand is an exemplary choice for the discerning hunter in search of both comfort and durability in a truly lightweight package at a great price point. Made from steel, its stability and sturdiness further added to the list of things to shout about. The attractive price helps sweeten the deal. It’s a great combination of comfort, functionality, and durability that won’t break the bank or your back.
- Feather-light construction
- Evident durability complemented by accessible spare parts
- Singular comfort tailored to the solitary hunter
- Thoughtful addition of a flip-out footrest
- Exceptional value
- Impressive weight limit of 300 lbs
- Considering how light it is, nothing worthy of mentioning
Most comfortable: Guide Gear Big Boy XL 18′ Ladder Tree Stand
When placing comfort at the forefront of your hunting experience, the Guide Gear Big Boy XL 18’ Ladder Tree Stand is an excellent candidate. Ideal for extended periods of hunting, this ladder stand is expertly designed to encompass space and comfort, providing just what you need for a long, successful day in the woods.
Instantly, what strikes you about this particular ladder stand is the roomy capacity. Instead of feeling cramped after hours on the stand, you have the freedom to stretch and move around, which is a definite plus.
To add to the comfort, the chair features a padded design so it’s a pleasure to sit in for long stretches. That’s something you’ll definitely be glad of!
Another notable attribute of this ladder tree stand is its robust construction. The sturdy build supplies a sense of security and stability. This contributes to the overall comfortability – because let’s face it – no matter how soft the chair if the stand wobbles, it compromises your sense of ease and comfort.
In addition to the wider seat, there’s also a wider ladder, which adds to the overall sense of security we enjoy when using the Big Boy XL.
To sum up, the Guide Gear Big Boy XL 18’ Ladder Tree Stand greatly impresses in the comforts it offers. It has been designed to maintain comfort as a key priority. That’s what makes it easy for us to recommend as the winner of our most comfortable ladder tree stand category.
- 18’ height gives you great views of your surroundings
- 300-lb weight limit
- Super comfortable
- Sturdy and solid build. Made from alloy steel.
- A wide ladder makes it easier to climb
- 2-way adjustable shooting rail for extra help
- On the heavy side for a one-man stand
Other recommended stands
Primal Treestands 17′ Single Vantage Xtra Wide Deluxe Ladderstand
The Primal Single Vantage Xtra Wide is another wide one-man stand. That’s always a winner in our book. What we liked about this stand was the Back Bone Stabilizer Truss System, which helped add to a feeling of strength and stability. When you’re sitting nearly six yards above the ground, that’s something you appreciate!
With its padded armrests, padded flip-up shooting rail, and 24”-wide chair, comfort is assured. Though not a category winner, this is still a tree stand that we loved using in our tests.
- Very stable
- Wide and comfortable
- Flip-up shooting rail
- Solid build
- Textilene flip-up molded foam seat
- There are cheaper stands around
Guide Gear Ultra Comfort 18′ Ladder Tree Stand
The Guide Gear Ultra Comfort is another great stand. Solidly built and comfortable, with a flip-up shooting rail and flip-up seat, it has all the bases covered. Like the previous two stands, it features an extra wide seat. If you need that weight, then that’s something you’re sure to appreciate. Our one complaint is that a taller friend tried it out and he found the distance between the foot platform and the seat to be too small. This made him feel that, while great, this stand is maybe better suited to those under 6 feet tall.
- 300-lb capacity
- Strong and sturdy steel build
- Wide, comfortable seat
- Flip-up seat and shooting rail
- Not ideal for taller hunters
Guide Gear 16′ Swivel Ladder Tree Stand
A standout feature of the Guide Gear 16′ Swivel ladder tree stand is the swivel seat. It enables you to easily maneuver and position yourself for the perfect shot, granting a wider range of motion, and ultimately enhancing your hunting capabilities.
The downside of this unusual swivel system is that it makes the stand harder to assemble than others. While the swivel feature is great, it’s not something we missed in other stands. The manufacturer promises that the seat won’t make a sound as you swivel. In our testing, we found that to be true. We can’t guarantee that will remain the case if this stand has been out in the open for months though.
- The swivel system is an interesting twist on your traditional tree stand.
- Solid build.
- Padded shooting rail.
- Spacious platform.
- The actual seat could be more comfortable.
- Remains to be seen if the swivel system remains silent over time.
- Non-adjustable shooting rail.
Ol’Man Treestands Assassin 18′ Dual Ladder Stand
The Ol’Man Treestands Assasin two-man stand is great for hunting with a partner. Furnished with a Millennium Style ComfortMax Seat, this ladder stand provides a comfortable hunting experience.
The platform is as spacious as they come and the adjustable padded shooting rail adds to the sense of comfort. In many ways, this is a true standout stand.
What holds it back is its weight. It’s the only stand here that comes out at over 100 lbs. In fact, it’s more than 10 percent heavier than the next heaviest stand here. The weight was a concern when it came to securing it to a tree as well. We felt that we’d really like some extra support if were going to use this beast in the long term.
- Very spacious
- High level of comfort
- Ideal for two hunters
- Very heavy
- Concerns about stability
- Assembly was tricky
Big Game The Hunter HD 1.5 Treestand
The Big Game Hunter HD 1.5 Treestand is a well-made tree stand that gives hunters both comfort and strength. This one-person tree stand is perfect for hunting animals like whitetail deer, elk, and mule deer since it lets you see really well from 18’6″ high.
The safety harness is a great feature, but one we’d expect in any quality ladder tree stand. One drawback that some reviewers found with The Hunter HD 1.5 is that it wasn’t always the quietest tree stand. You don’t want to be scaring the deer off with a loud creak at the wrong moment. Many reviewers were happy with the stand though, so maybe the creaking is an assembly issue. Some people did say this stand could be hard to put together.
Overall, the Big Game Hunter HD 1.5 Treestand is a solid, reliable tree stand. The Flex-Tek seat is comfy for waiting a long time, and the 18’6″ height lets you see lots of different animals really well. With its strong build and easy-to-use design, this tree stand is a great choice for any serious hunter.
- 18’6″ height helps you see better while hunting
- Flex-Tek seat is comfy for waiting a long time
- The flip-up shooting rail is real help when taking aim
- Built from durable steel, yet still lightweight
- 350-lb weight limit
- Not the easiest to assemble
- Can be a bit noisy
Rivers Edge TwoPlex™ 2-Man Ladder Stand
The River Edge TwoPlex™ 2-Man Ladder Stand is another 2-man ladder stand made for two people. It’s comfortable thanks to its flip-up TearTuff™ mesh bench seat. The 40″-wide platform means that you’ll have plenty of room for your feet, too.
The 2-way adjustable shooting rail makes bow shooting easier. It’s always good to have features that adjust to your needs.
The reviews we read were good. However, one person who used it had some worries about the tree stand’s quality. They found missing bolts when it arrived, and the paint was thin and peeling in some spots. They also said the straps that came with the stand seemed too short and not strong enough for the 500-lb weight limit.
Missing parts was a common complaint with ladder stands in general. Make sure you always buy from a reputable source so that you can get spare parts if you need them.
For example, this particular reviewer liked how Rivers Edge’s help desk quickly answered and sent new parts. The person fixed the paint and added more padding to the rest. They also changed the original straps to stronger 800-pound straps for a safer setup.
The Rivers Edge TwoPlex™ 2-Man Ladder Stand is very comfortable and has room for two hunters. But, there might be some quality issues to fix. People thinking about buying it should keep these things in mind and be ready to make changes if needed.
- 17’1″ height helps you see better
- 500-lb weight limit
- Holds two people so you can hunt with a friend or have more room for gear
- Flip-up TearTuff™ mesh bench seat for waiting a long time
- 40″ wide platform for lots of space and easy moving
- 2-way adjustable shooting rail for extra help
- The seat might not be be wide enough for two larger-sized hunters
Muddy MLS1550 Skybox Deluxe 20′ Ladder Tree Stand
The Muddy MLS1550 Skybox Deluxe 20′ Tall Single Steel Ladder Tree Stand is a top-quality and comfortable tree stand that makes for an excellent hunting experience. This 20-foot tall ladder stand has an adjustable padded shooting rail, making hunting more enjoyable for people who like to hunt alone.
Muddy is known for their great quality and fancy features, and the MLS1550 Skybox Deluxe 20′ Ladder Tree Stand is no different. The 20-foot height helps you spot animals, while the adjustable padded shooting rail makes shooting easy and steady no matter how long you’ve been waiting.
The strong steel design of the tree stand makes sure it will last a long time. One drawback of its solidity is that it is fairly heavy, especially for a one-man stand. If you have somewhere you can leave it during the entire season, its weight isn’t really a problem.
One great advantage of this stand is that both the seat and the rail flip up. This means that you can stand on the platform, which is great when hunting with a bow.
In the end, the Muddy MLS1550 Skybox Deluxe 20′ Ladder Tree Stand is an excellent choice for solo hunters, giving them comfort and usefulness in a strong and sturdy design. But remember it is one of the heaviest stands here despite being only one-man.
- 20-foot height helps you see the terrain around you better
- Adjustable padded shooting rail for extra comfort and steadiness
- Strong steel design for long-lasting use
- Many accessories to choose from for customizing
- Flip-up rail and seat so you can stand while hunting with a bow
- 350-lb weight limit
- Heavy for a one-person stand
Best Ladder Stand Accessories
Once you’ve selected your ladder tree stand, you might find that you want some accessories to go with it. Two that we think are particularly useful are hoists and ladder sticks. We’ve picked the best of each.
Best ladder stand hoist: Primal Treestands Standz Up Ladder Hoist
A ladder hoist is an essential accessory if you’re going to put up a ladder tree stand on your own. Ladder tree stands normally need a two-man team to put up but with a hoist, you can do it alone. This great hoist from Primal Stands is one we’ve tested thoroughly and we were delighted with how easy it was to use. It makes one-man ladder stand mounting a real possibility.
Best tree stand ladder sticks: Muddy Outdoors Pro Aluminum Climbing Sticks
Though not strictly necessary when using a ladder tree stand, these ladder sticks can still come in handy. Maybe, you want to climb the tree to adjust how your ladder is attached to the tree. Or move it slightly to a better position. This pack of four climbing sticks is undoubtedly worth looking at.
Ladder sticks are really useful with lock-on stands. To find out more about lock-on stands check out our lock-on tree stand post on the best you can buy.
In conclusion, the Primal Treestands 22′ Mac Daddy Xtra Wide Deluxe Ladderstand is our pick of the tree stands that we reviewed. It’s comfortable, stable, has lots of room, and offers the best vantage points of any stand here. Hunting with it was a blast.
We hope that this guide has provided you with valuable insights into the best ladder tree stands available on the market. If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to reach out to us. Happy hunting!
Frequently asked questions
What is a ladder stand?
A ladder stand is a type of hunting tree stand that consists of a seat, a platform, and a ladder, allowing you to elevate your hunting position off the ground. Ladder stands provide increased visibility and better aim at your target while helping to keep you concealed from the wildlife below.
How to set up a ladder stand?
Setting up a ladder stand involves the following steps:
- Choose a suitable tree: Look for a sturdy, live tree with a straight trunk and a few lower branches. Ensure the tree is within the recommended diameter range for your ladder stand.
- Assemble the ladder stand: Assemble the stand according to the manufacturer’s instructions, typically starting with the ladder sections, and then progressing to the platform and seat sections. Be sure to secure all bolts and connections.
- Secure the stand to the tree base: Place the base of the ladder stand firmly against the tree trunk, and adjust the support bar to match the contours of the tree. Secure the support bar using straps, buckles, or chains as provided.
- Raise the stand: With the assistance of a partner, carefully lift the ladder stand, pivoting the platform and seat section against the tree. Once the platform is flush against the tree, ensure the ladder is well-aligned, and the stand is level.
- Secure the platform and seat to the tree: Following the manufacturer’s guidelines, firmly secure the platform and seat sections to the tree using straps, buckles, or chains as supplied. Double-check all connections and straps to make sure they are tight and secure.
- Attach any additional safety features: Install additional safety equipment, such as a safety harness or lifeline, as per the manufacturer’s instructions.
Always follow the specific instructions provided by the ladder stand manufacturer, and prioritize your safety at all times.
How high do ladder stands typically go?
Ladder stands generally range in height from around 10 to 25 feet, with the most common heights being between 15 and 20 feet. The optimal height for a ladder stand depends on the intended usage, local terrain, and user preference, as well as considerations for camouflage and personal comfort.
What weight capacity should I look for in a two-man treestand?
The weight capacity for a two-man treestand should be at least 500 pounds, as it needs to accommodate the combined weight of both hunters, plus their gear and equipment. It is advisable to select a tree stand with a higher weight capacity to provide a comfortable and secure experience for both individuals. Always remember to verify the manufacturer’s weight capacity specifications and adhere to any recommendations or limitations they provide.